The Railroad Commission of Texas is the state agency that regulates:
- the exploration, production, and transportation of oil and natural gas
- liquefied petroleum gas (LPG, propane), compressed natural gas (CNG), and liquefied natural gas (LNG)
- pipeline safety
- surface mining of coal and uranium
- gas utilities.
(Despite its name, the Railroad Commission of Texas no longer regulates railroads).
The Railroad Commission serves Texas through:
- its stewardship of natural resources and the environment;
- its concern for personal and community safety; and
- its support of enhanced development and economic vitality for the benefit of Texans.